Place:


Shobrooke  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shobrooke like this:

SHOBROOKE, a parish, with a village, in Crediton district, Devon; 2 miles NE of Crediton r. station. It has a post-office under Crediton, North Devon. Acres, 3835. Real property, £6,004. Pop. in 1851, 812; in 1861, 630. Houses, 133. The manor, with Fulford Park, belongs to J. H. Hippesley, Esq. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported.* Patron, the bishop of E. The church is ancient. There are a slightly endowed school, and charities £17. T. Westcote, the antiquary, was a native; and the Bodleys, of whom was Sir T. Bodley the founder of the Bodleian library at Oxford, were at one time residents.

Shobrooke through time

Shobrooke is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shobrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shobrooke in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5311

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shobrooke ".