Place:


Uplyme  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Uplyme like this:

UPLYME, a parish, with a village, in Axminster district, Devon; 4 miles SSE of Axminster r. station. It has a post-office under Lyme. Acres, 3,199; of which 50 are water. Real property, £5,785; of which £295 are in quarries. Pop., 989. Houses, 221. The manor belonged to Glastonbury abbey; passed to the Drakes; and, with Rhode-Hill mansion, belongs now to R. ...


Talbot, Esq. A Roman bath, a tesselated pavement, and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £461.* Patron, the Rev.W. Ethelston. The church was restored in 1852. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels and a national school.

Uplyme through time

Uplyme is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Uplyme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Uplyme in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5294

Date accessed: 23rd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Uplyme ".