Place:


Holbrook  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holbrook like this:

HOLBROOK, a village and a chapelry in Duffield parish, Derby. The village stands near Coxbench r. station, 2½ miles SSE of Belper; and has a post office under Derby. The chapelry includes also Holbrook Moor, Bargate, Day Park, and part of Coxbench. Acres, 850. Real property, £2, 128. ...


Pop., 956. Houses, 205. The property is subdivided. Holbrook Hall is the residence of the Rev. William Leeke, and commands fine views. Coxbench Hall is the seat of Charles Sanders, Esq. Stone is largely quarried; and grind stones and scythe stones are dressed. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £157. Patron, T. W. Evans, Esq. The church was built in 1761, and rebuilt in 1841: and is a neat plain edifice, without a tower. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists, and charity schools.

Holbrook through time

Holbrook is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holbrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holbrook, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5283

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holbrook ".