Place:


Cornworthy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cornworthy like this:

CORNWORTHY, a parish in Totnes district, Devon; on the river Dart, 4 miles SSE of Totnes r. station. It contains the hamlets of Allaleigh and East Cornworthy; and its post town is Totnes. Acres, 2, 721; of which 240 are water. Real property, with Ashprington, £7, 768. Pop., 479. Houses, 104. ...


The property is much sub-divided. An Augustinian nunnery was founded, on the farm of Court-Prior, by the ancestors of the Edgcombes; and some remains of it exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £210.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late Rev. W. K. Sweetland. The church is a fine ancient edifice, with a square tower; and has an ancient carved oak screen, and a very fine monument of Sir T. Harris, of the year 1610. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £46.

Cornworthy through time

Cornworthy is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cornworthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cornworthy, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5281

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cornworthy ".