Place:


Holbeton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holbeton like this:

HOLBETON, a village and a parish in Plympton-St. Mary district, Devon. The village stands on an eminence, W of the Erme estuary, 3¼ miles SW of Modbury, and 4 SSW of Ivy-Bridge r. station; is a large straggling place; and has a post office under Ivy-Bridge. The parish includes also the hamlets of Creacombe, Ford, Membland, and Mothecombe. ...


Acres, 4, 748; of which 125 are water. Real property, £6, 498. Pop. in 1851, 1, 029; in 1861, 965. Houses, 219. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Fleet-House, belonged formerly to the Heles, and belongs now to the Bulteels. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300. Patron, the Crown. The church is old, cruciform, and very good; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and national schools.

Holbeton through time

Holbeton is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holbeton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holbeton, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5197

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holbeton ".