Place:


North Creake  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Creake like this:

CREAKE (North), a parish in Docking district, Norfolk; 3 miles SSE of Burnham-Westgate r. station, and 5 W of Walsingham. It has a post office under Fakenham. Acres, 3, 601. Real property, £4, 039. Pop., 708. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. A priory-hospital was founded here, in 1206, by Sir Robert de Narford; afterwards enlarged into an Angustinian abbey; and eventually given, by the Countess of Richmond, to Christ's College, Cambridge. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1, 077.* Patron, alternately Earl Spencer and the Bishop of Norwich. The church has a transitional early English chancel, a lofty clerestory, a fine decorated English tower, and a brass of a man holding a church; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £15. Bishop Sandal was rector.

North Creake through time

North Creake is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Creake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Creake in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5143

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Creake ".