Place:


Alphington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alphington like this:

ALPHINGTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of St. Thomas, Devon. The village stands near the South Devon railway and the river Exe, 1¾ mile S of Exeter; and has a post office under Exeter, and fairs on the Wednesday after 20 June and after 29 Sept. It was one of the headquarters of Fairfax's army, in 1646. ...


at the blockading of Exeter.—The parish comprises 2,471 acres. Real property, £8,598. Pop., 1,250 Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. The manor was acquired, in the reign of Richard II., by the family of the Earl of Devon; and the greater part of it continues still in their possession. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £987.* Patron, the Rev. F. A. Savile. The church contains a Norman font with interlaced arches, scroll ornaments, and grotesque figures over the arches; has a red turretted tower in perpendicular English; and, excepting the south wall, is in good condition. Charities £29, and some poors' cottages.-The subdistrict comprises seven entire parishes and parts of two others. Acres 17,470. Pop., 4,097. Houses, 841.

Alphington through time

Alphington is now part of Exeter district. Click here for graphs and data of how Exeter has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alphington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alphington, in Exeter and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5116

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alphington ".