Place:


Manaccan  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Manaccan like this:

MANACCAN, a village and a parish in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands near the coast, 6½ miles SSW of Falmouth r. station; and has a post office under Helston, Cornwall, and fairs on 21 March and 17 Oct. The parish comprises 1,718 acres of land, and 125 of water. Real property, £2,311. ...


Pop., 505. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. Kestell, an old seat, belonged to the Kestells, and passed to the Lemons. The metal titanium was first found here, in the stream of Tregonwell-mill, by the late Rev. W. Gregor; and the mineral containing it is a titaniferous iron, and has been called manaccanite or gregorite. An ancient double-entrenched camp is at Resmorden, and Roman coins have been found near it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £193. * Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, and was restored and enlarged in 1824. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a national school. Vestiges of an ancient chapel are at Tregonwell. The Rev. R. Polewhele, author of a history of Cornwall, was vicar.

Manaccan through time

Manaccan is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Manaccan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Manaccan, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5104

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Manaccan ".