Place:


Wheelock  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wheelock like this:

WHEELOCK, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Sandbach parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Wheelock and on the Grand Trunk canal, 1½ mile SSE of Sandbach r. station, and 4 NE of Crewe; and has a post-office under Sandbach, a brewery, bone-works, two silk-factories, extensive ironworks, and a branch railway for goods to the North Staffordshire line. ...


The township comprises 666 acres. Real property, £2,119. Pop., 588. Houses, 119. W. House is the seat of W. Lycett, Esq. Salt-works are at Whitehall and Malkins-Bank.—The chapelry was constituted in 1843. Pop., 1,869. Houses, 386. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Sandbach. The church is good; and there are three dissenting chapels.

Wheelock through time

Wheelock is now part of Congleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Congleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wheelock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wheelock, in Congleton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5059

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wheelock ".