Place:


Beenham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beenham like this:

BEENHAM, or Beenham-Vallence, a parish in Bradfield district, Berks; adjacent to the Kennet and Avon canal and to the Berks and Hants railway, 1 ¼. mile N of Aldermaston station, and 8½ WSW of Reading. It has a post office, of the name of Beenham, under Reading. Acres, 1,890. Real property, £2,548. ...


Pop., 505. Houses, 105. The property is much subdivided. Beenham House and Beenham Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £250.* Patron, Mrs. Bushnell. The church was chiefly rebuilt in 1860. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school. Stackhouse, the author of the "History of the Bible," was vicar.

Beenham through time

Beenham is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beenham in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4998

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beenham ".