Place:


Aldington  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldington like this:

ALDINGTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of East Ashford, Kent. The village stands near the Grand Military canal, 1½ mile S of Smeeth r. station, and 6 SE of Ashford. It has a post office under Hythe; and is in the lib. of Romney Marsh.—The parish comprises 3,576 acres. ...


Real property, £5,357. Pop., 658. Houses, 144. The property is not much divided. The Roman road from Lymne to Pevensey went through the parish. Court-of-Street, on the line of that road, about a mile E of the village, was the scene of the imposture of Elizabeth Barton, the nun of Kent, who made so great a figure in the political party of Queen Catherine. the living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury; and till 1868 was united with Smeeth. Value, £850.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English, with a tower in late perpendicular; and formerly had a brass of 1475. Charities, £9. The celebrated Erasmus of Rotterdam, and Richard Moster, who suffered death for aiding the imposture of Elizabeth Barton, were rectors of Aldington.-The subdistrict comprises seven parishes. Acres, 16,127. Pop., 2,487. Houses, 509.

Aldington through time

Aldington is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldington, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4942

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldington ".