Place:


Tewin  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tewin like this:

TEWIN, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Hertford; 1¾ mile SE of Welwyn r. station, and 4½ WNW of Hertford. It has a post-office under Hertford. Acres, 2,615. Real property, £3,639. Pop., 547. Houses, 100. Tewin Water mansion and domain belong to Earl Cowper; and Marden Hill belongs to G. Thornton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £438.* Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is good. There are a national school, and charities £38.

Tewin through time

Tewin is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tewin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tewin in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4937

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tewin ".