Place:


Crosby Garrett  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crosby Garrett like this:

CROSBY-GARRETT, or Gerard, a township and a parish in East Ward district, Westmoreland. The township lies on the river Eden, under Crosby Fell, adjacent to the South Durham and Lancashire Union railway, 3 miles W by N of Kirkby-Stephen; and has a post office under Penrith. Acres, 3, 008. Pop., 245. ...


Houses, 45. The parish includes also the township of Little Musgrave. Acres, 4, 224. Real property, with Soulby, Smardale, Waitby, and Great Musgrave, £7, 875. Pop., 306. Houses, 56. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £107.* Patron, W. Crawford, Esq. The church is old but good; there is a Baptist chapel; and an endowed school has £22.

Crosby Garrett through time

Crosby Garrett is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crosby Garrett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crosby Garrett, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4929

Date accessed: 25th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crosby Garrett ".