Place:


South Luffenham  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Luffenham like this:

LUFFENHAM (SoUTH), a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands ½ a mile S by W of Luffenham r. station, and 6½ SW of Stamford; and has a post office under Leicester. The parish comprises 1,417 acres. Real property, £1,896. Pop., 400. Houses, 82. ...


The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Aveland. The Hall is occupied by the Misses Wingfield. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £423. * Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church is variously Norman, early English, decorated, and perpendicular; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with S porch and W tower; and was repaired in 1861. There is a national school.

South Luffenham through time

South Luffenham is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Luffenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Luffenham in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4925

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Luffenham ".