Place:


Bucknell  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bucknell like this:

BUCKNELL, a township and a parish in the district of Knighton; the former in the county of Salop: the latter partly also in the county of Hereford. The township lies on the river Teme, adjacent to the Knighton railway, 4½ miles ENE of Knighton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leintwardine. ...


Acres, 2,730. Real property, £5,914. Pop., 622. Houses, 108. The parish includes also the township of Buckton and Coxall. Acres, 4,160. Real property, with Brampton-Brian and Pedwardine, £10,230. Pop., 790. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Buckton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £332.* Patron, the Grocers' Company, London. The church is good. Charities, £18.

Bucknell through time

Bucknell is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bucknell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bucknell, in South Shropshire and Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4900

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bucknell ".