Place:


Whitworth  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitworth like this:

WHITWORTH, a parish in Auckland district, Durham; around Spennymoor r. station, and 4 miles NE by N of Bishop-Auckland. It contains Spennymoor, which has a post-office under Ferryhill. Acres, 1,465. Real property, £7,402; of which £5,219 are in mines, and £50 in gasworks. Pop. ...


in 1851, 659; in 1861, 3,629. Houses, 636. W. Park is the seat of R. Duncombe, Esq. Old Park belonged once to the Bishops of Durham; became the residence of Dr. Wharton; was frequently visited, in his time, by the poet Gray; passed to the Myddleton family; and was recently sold to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £340.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of D. The church was restored in 1850. A chapel of ease and three dissenting chapels are at Spennymoor.

Whitworth through time

Whitworth is now part of Sedgefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitworth, in Sedgefield and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4890

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitworth ".