Place:


Rackenford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rackenford like this:

RACKENFORD, a village and a parish in South Molton district, Devon. The village stands 8¼ miles N W by W of Tiverton r. station; is an ancient place, formerly called Rackineford, and described as a borough; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Tiverton, and a fair on 8 July. ...


The parish comprises 3, 938 acres. Real property, £2, 492. Pop., 486. Houses, 96. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Devon, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £311.* Patron, the Rev. G. Porter. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There are a Bible Christians' chapel, a national school, and charities £8.

Rackenford through time

Rackenford is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rackenford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rackenford in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4884

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rackenford ".