Place:


Kingston  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingston like this:

KINGSTON, a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon; on the river Erme and the English channel, 3¼ miles SW of Modbury, and 7 S of Ivybridge r. station. Posttown, Aveton-Gifford, under Ivybridge. Acres, 2, 373; of which 140 are water. Real property, £2, 828. Pop., 451. Houses, 103. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ermington, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is good, and has a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Kingston through time

Kingston is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingston, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4863

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingston ".