Place:


Byers Green  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Byers Green like this:

BYERS-GREEN, a township and a chapelry in Auckland St. Andrew parish, Durham. The township lies on the river Wear, and on the Clarence and Hartlepool railway, 3¼ miles NNE of Bishop-Auckland; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ferry Hill. Acres, 997. Real property, £11,030; of which £3,975 are in mines. ...


Pop., 1,634. Houses, 330. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2,691. Houses, 512. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Durham. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of D. The church is good. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

Byers Green through time

Byers Green is now part of Sedgefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Byers Green itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Byers Green, in Sedgefield and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4854

Date accessed: 26th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Byers Green ".