Place:


Morton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morton like this:

MORTON, a township and a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby. The township lies ½ a mile WNW of Doehill r. station, 1 SE of Stretton r. station, and 2¾ N of Alfreton. Real property, £1,397. Pop. in 1851, 257; in 1861,594. Houses, 100. The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of labourers on railway works. ...


The parish contains also the township of Brackenfield; and its Post town is Alfreton. Acres, 2,800. Real property, £4,895; of which £15 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851,656; in 1861,911. Houses, 177. The property is divided among a few. Ogston Hall is the seat of G. Turbutt, Esq. Upwards of 1,000 acres were recently leased by a company for the working of coal and other minerals. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Valne, £460.* Patron, alternately St. John's College, Cambridge, and G. Turbutt, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1850; is in the decorated English style; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with pinnacled tower; and contains monument's to the Turbutts. The p. cnracy of Brackenfield is a separate benefice. A Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school are in Brackenfield; and a recently erected school is in Morton.

Morton through time

Morton is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morton in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4834

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morton ".