Place:


Eton  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Eton like this:

Eton, town and par., on S. border of Bucks, on left bank of river Thames, opposite Windsor (with which it is connected by a bridge), and 21 miles SW. of London -- par., 786 ac. (23 water), pop. 3984; town, pop. 3464; P.O., T.O. Eton is known chiefly for its college (founded by Henry VI. in 1440), one of the great public schools, at which some of the most celebrated men of England have been educated. ...


The original structure, begun in 1441, and finished in 1523, has received large additions during the present century. The foundation comprises a provost and 10 fellows; a head master, and a second master; and 70 "collegers, " or scholars on the foundation. Besides these there are between 800 and 900 "oppidans, " who lodge outside the college. The annual income, originally a few hundreds, is now upwards of £20,000. The population of the parish includes Eton College; the entire town is included in the parliamentary limits of Windsor.

Eton through time

Eton is now part of Windsor and Maidenhead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Windsor and Maidenhead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eton, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/477

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eton ".