Place:


Marchwood  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marchwood like this:

MARCHWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Eling parish, Hants. The village stands on Southamptonwater, 2¼ miles SW of Southampton r. station; is a fishing-place and a coast-guard station; and has a postoffice under Southampton, and extensive powder magazines. The chapelry was constituted in 1843. Pop., 1,185. Houses, 228. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £121.* Patron, H. Holloway, Esq. The church is a modern edifice, of white brick and stone.

Marchwood through time

Marchwood is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marchwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marchwood, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4768

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marchwood ".