Place:


Eling  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eling like this:

ELING, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in New Forest district, Hants. The village stands on the north-west horn of Southampton-water, near the mouth of the river Anton, and near Totton r. station, 4 miles W of Southampton; was known at Domesday as Edlinges; is said to have then had a church, two mills, a fishery, and a saltern; has now a fair on 5 July; has also granaries, storehouses, and several docks; and carries on a considerable trade in corn, timber, and coal. ...


The parish includes South Eling, North Eling, Bartley-Regis, Bauld-oxfee, Bistern and Bartley, Colebury, Durley, Langley, Lopperwood, Marchwood, Rumbridge, Tatchbury, Testwood, Wade, Ower, and Wigley; and has post offices of Bartley, Marchwood, and Totton under Southampton, and Ower under Romsey. Acres, 18, 459; of which 730 are water. Real property, of South Eling, £1, 899; of North Eling, £3, 984; of Bartley-Regis, £1, 725; of Bauldoxfee, £2, 610; of Bistern and Bartley, £719; of Colebury, £1, 847; of Durley, £1, 217; of Langley, £1, 045; of Lopperwood, £545; of Marchwood, £497; of Rumbridge, £1, 358; of Tatchbury, £550; of Testwood, £2, 364; of Wade and Ower, £2, 413; of Wigley, £507. Pop. of the parish, 5, 947. Houses, 1, 179. The limits include 740 acres of New Forest. The property is much sub-divided. The manor, in the time of Edward the Confessor, was under obligation to give half-a-day's entertainment to the king whenever he should pass it; and it belongs now to the Rev. Sir J. B. Mill, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £630. Patrons, the Trustees of the Rev. W. J. G. Phillips. The church is of various dates, from the 11th century; and contains many interesting monuments. The vicarages of North Eling., Marchwood, and Netley, are separate benefices. Value of North Eling, £260. Patrons, the Trustees of the Rev. W. J. G. Phillips. A new church, in the early decorated style, and a new school, - were founded in 1869. The charities include an alms-house for four persons, and a share in Nowes' school. The parish contains the New Forest workhouse. -The sub-district includes 7, 920 acres of the New Forest. Pop., 5, 952. Houses, 1, 180.

Eling through time

Eling is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eling, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4758

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eling ".