Place:


Geldeston  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Geldeston like this:

GELDESTON, a village and a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk. The village stands near the Waveney Valley railway, 2½ miles W by N of Beccles; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Beccles. The parish comprises 820 acres. Real property, £2, 529. Pop., 345. Houses, 75. Geldeston House is a chief residence. An ancient gold bracelet was found here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £195.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a round tower. Charities, £7.

Geldeston through time

Geldeston is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Geldeston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Geldeston in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4721

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Geldeston ".