Place:


Catton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Catton like this:

CATTON, a village and a parish in St. Faith district, Norfolk. The village stands on high ground, amid pleasant environs, 2 miles N of Norwich; contains several large ancient houses; and has a post office under Norwich. The parish comprises 895 acres. Real property, £4,306. Pop., 646. Houses, 133. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at the Conquest, to Archbishop Stigand; and was given, afterwards, to Norwich cathedral. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £142. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church is early and perpendicular English; has a round tower, surmounted by an octagon; and contains a rich monument to T. G. Adams, Esq. There are a free school and charities £10.

Catton through time

Catton is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Catton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Catton, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4675

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Catton ".