Place:


Birkdale  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birkdale like this:

BIRKDALE, a township-chapelry in North Meols parish, Lancashire; on the coast, and on the Southport railway, 1½ mile S of Southport. It has a r. station, several streets, good residences, and boarding-houses; and, in 1869, had greatly increased in pop., and was about to have a sewerage-system and public gardens. Post Town, Southport. Acres, 5,670; of which 3,435 are water. Pop. in 1861, 1,286. Houses, 237. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £380.* Patrons, 'Trustees. The church is recent, and has a spire.

Birkdale through time

Birkdale is now part of Sefton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sefton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birkdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birkdale, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/467

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birkdale ".