Place:


Hellesdon  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hellesdon like this:

HELLESDON, a parish in the districts of Norwich and St. Faith, Norfolk; on the river Wensum, 2¾ miles NW of Norwich r. station. The part in Norwich district is within Norwich city; and the other part has a postoffice, of the name of Upper Hellesdon, under Norwich. Acres of the whole, 3, 161. ...


Real property, £5, 163. Pop., 496. Houses, 112. Real property of the part in Norwich city, £3, 376. Pop., 393. Houses, 95. The property is not much divided. There are market gardens and a large corn mill. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Drayton, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is good, and contains three brasses. There is a national school.

Hellesdon through time

Hellesdon is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hellesdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hellesdon, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4664

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hellesdon ".