Place:


Fowlmere  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fowlmere like this:

FOULMIRE, a parish in the district of Royston and county of Cambridge; adjacent to Herts and Essex, 4 miles ESE of Shepreth r. station, and 5½ NE of Royston. It has a post office under Royston. Acres, 2, 212. Real property, £3, 846. Pop., 560. Houses, 122. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £598.* Patron, the Earl of Hardwicke. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel, and charities £11.

Fowlmere through time

Fowlmere is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fowlmere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fowlmere in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4616

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fowlmere ".