Place:


Woodchurch  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodchurch like this:

WOODCHURCH, a township and a sub-district in Wirral district, and a parish partly also in Birkenhead district, Cheshire. The township lies 4 miles WSW of Birkenhead r. station, and has a post-office under Birkenhead. Acres, 331. Real property, £822. Pop., 94. Houses, 16. The parish contains 7 townships and a part in Wirral district, and 2 and a part in Birkenhead district. ...


Acres, 5,792. Pop. in 1851, 2,927; in 1861, 3,922. Houses, 650. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1,100.* Patron, the Rev. P. R. Robin. The church is late perpendicular, with decorated English tower. The vicarage of Oxton is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school for boys with £55 a year, a national school for girls, and charities £30.—The sub-district includes the Wirral part of W. parish, two other parishes, three other townships, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 44,764. Pop., 4,030. Houses, 736.

Woodchurch through time

Woodchurch is now part of Wirral district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wirral has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodchurch, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4585

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodchurch ".