Place:


Billingsley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Billingsley like this:

BILLINGSLEY, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; on a small affluent of the Severn, 3½ miles WSW of Hampton-Loade r. station, and 5½ S of Bridgnorth. It has a post office under Bridgnorth. Acres, 1,285. Real property, £1,951. Pop., 144. Houses, 26. The property is all in one estate. Coal and ironstone have Been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £195. Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is good. Dr. Thomas Hyde, who co-operated in Walton's Polyglott, was a native.

Billingsley through time

Billingsley is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Billingsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Billingsley, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4460

Date accessed: 21st May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Billingsley ".