Place:


Kingswood  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingswood like this:

KINGSWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Bitton parish, Gloucester. The village stands near the Bristol and Gloucester railway, between Stapleton and Mangotsfield stations, 3½ miles NE by E of Bristol; and has a post office† under Bristol.—The chapelry was constituted in 1821. ...


Pop., 4, 699. Houses, 986. The property is much subdivided. The land was anciently a royal chase or forest, or literally a King's wood. Most of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and shoe making; and some in market gardens. A great work of religions reformation was done here under the preaching of Wesley and Whitefield; and a classical school, for the sons of preachers, was established by Wesley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a square structure, in the pointed style, with a tower 90 feet high; and has a handsome interior, and a stone pulpit. There are an Independent chapel, national schools, and the Bristol reformatory.

Kingswood through time

Kingswood is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingswood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingswood in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/446

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingswood ".