Place:


Baschurch  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Baschurch like this:

BASCHURCH, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Ellesmere, Salop. The township lies on the river Perry, near the Ellesmere canal and the Shrewsbury and Chester railway, 8 miles NW of Shrewsbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Shrewsbury. ...


The parish includes also the townships of Little Ness, Birch, Boreatton or Bratton, Eyton, Fennemere, Merehouse, or Murhouse, Newtown, Prescott, Stanwardine-in-the-Wood, Stanwardine-in-the-Fields, Walford, Weston-Lullingfield, and Yeaton. Acres, 8,273. Real property, £15,791. Pop., 1,559. Houses, 320. The property is subdivided. There are traces of a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £203.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. The vicarage of Weston Lullingfield is a separate benefice. Harris's school has an endowed income of £324, and other charities have £17.-The subdistrict comprises four parishes. Acres, 21,283. Pop., 3,435. Houses, 712.

Baschurch through time

Baschurch is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Baschurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baschurch in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4456

Date accessed: 27th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Baschurch ".