Place:


Sandridge  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandridge like this:

SANDRIDGE, a parish, with a village, in St. Albans district, Herts; 2½ miles S by W of Wheathampstead r.station, and 2¾ N N E of St. Albans. It has a post-office under St. Albans. Acres, 5, 766. Real property, £7, 959. Pop., 833. Houses, 151. The property is divided among a few. A large tract is disposed in sheep-walk, and oftenused by cricket clubs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £313.* Patron, Earl Spencer. The church is good. There is a parochial school. The Duchess of Marlborough, born in 1660, was a native.

Sandridge through time

Sandridge is now part of St Albans district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Albans has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandridge, in St Albans and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4391

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandridge ".