Place:


Codicote  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Codicote like this:

CODICOTE, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands near the river Maran and the Great Northern railway, 2 miles N by W of Welwyn r. station, and 8 S by E of Hitchin; has a post office under Welwyn; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 2, 671 acres. Real property, £4, 677. ...


. Pop., 1, 227. Houses, 229. The property is subdivided.Lodge and the Node are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Rochester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. St. Giles' church is old but good; and All Saints' was built in 1868. There are national schools and charities £14.

Codicote through time

Codicote is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Codicote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Codicote in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4359

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Codicote ".