Place:


Heanton Punchardon  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heanton Punchardon like this:

HEANTON-PUNCHARDON, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands near the mouth of the river Taw, 4½ miles NNW of Barnstaple r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Chivenor, Wrafton, and West Ashford. Post town, Barnstaple. Acres, 3, 020. Real property, £3, 854. ...


Pop., 540. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. W. Williams, Esq. Heanton Court was formerly the seat of the Bassetts, and is now a farm house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £431.* Patron, A. D. Bassett, Esq. The church is early English, and good; comprises nave and chancel, with a lofty tower; and has a handsome carved screen and a fine canopied tomb of one of the Coffin family. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £14.

Heanton Punchardon through time

Heanton Punchardon is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heanton Punchardon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heanton Punchardon in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4174

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heanton Punchardon ".