Place:


Woodhall Spa  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodhall Spa like this:

LANGTON-ST.-ANDREW, a chapelry in Langton-near-Horncastle, Woodhall, Thornton, and Thimbleby parishes, Lincoln; near Woodhall-Spa r. station, 7 miles SW of Horncastle. It was constituted in 1847; and its post-town is Horncastle. Pop. in 1861,610. Houses, 120. Pop. of the Langton portion, 141; of the Woodhall portion, 199; of the Thornton portion, 1 67. ...


The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £110.* Patron, the Rector of Langton. The church was built in 1846; is a fine edifice in the pointed style; consists of nave and chancel, with a turret; has three good stained-glass windows; and contains a richly-carved stone pulpit and a font. There is a national school.

Woodhall Spa through time

Woodhall Spa is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodhall Spa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodhall Spa, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/408

Date accessed: 20th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodhall Spa ".