Place:


Buckland Filleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buckland Filleigh like this:

BUCKLAND-FILLEIGH, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; 6½ miles NW of Hatherleigh, and 10 S of Bideford r. station. Post Town, Shebbear, under Highampton, North Devon. Acres, 3,037. Real property, £1,872. Pop., 258. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Ashburton and Lord Clinton. ...


Buckland House is a seat of Lord Ashburton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £218. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church stands close to Buckland House; is a handsome small edifice; and contains monuments of the Filleighs and the Fortescues.

Buckland Filleigh through time

Buckland Filleigh is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buckland Filleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buckland Filleigh, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4036

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buckland Filleigh ".