Place:


Bickington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bickington like this:

BICKINGTON, a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; on the Lemon rivulet, 3½ miles NE of Ashburton, and 4 W of Newton-Junction r. station. It has a post office under Newton-Abbot. Acres, 1,375. Real property, £1,876. Pop., 294. Houses, 60. The surface abounds with large limestone rocks. There is a large serge manufactory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £220.-Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is an old edifice, with square tower; and there is a small Wesleyan chapel.

Bickington through time

Bickington is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bickington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bickington, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4017

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bickington ".