Place:


Merton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merton like this:

MERTON, a parish in Wayland district, Norfolk; on the Bury-St. Edmunds, Thetford, and Watton railway, 2 Miles S of Watton, and 10 NNE of Thetford. Post town, Watton, under Thetford. Acres, 1,362. Real property, £1,503. Pop., 194. Houses, 35. The property, with Merton Hall, belongs to Lord Walsingham. ...


The Hall was long the seat of the De Greys; was almost rebuilt in 1613; is a red brick edifice, in the Tudor style; and stands in a finely timbered park, about 2 miles in length, and containing an ancient oak which measures fully 23¼ feet in girth at 6 feet from the ground. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £174. * Patron, Lord Walsingham. The church stands in the park, about 300 yards NE of the Hall; is decorated English, with very beautiful windows; comprises nave, S aisle, and chancel, with early Norman circular tower; and contains a font with lofty carved oak canopy. The charities consist of 5 acres of town land and 5 cottages.

Merton through time

Merton is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merton, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3970

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merton ".