Place:


Swanton Abbot  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swanton Abbot like this:

SWANTON-ABBOTT, a parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk; 3 miles SSW of North Walsham r. station. It has a post-office under Norwich. Acres, 1,130. Real property, £2,273. Pop., 523. Houses, 124. S. Hall is the seat of W. L. Blake, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £275. Patron, W. L. Blake, Esq. The church is ancient but good. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £15.

Swanton Abbot through time

Swanton Abbot is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swanton Abbot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swanton Abbot in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3919

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swanton Abbot ".