Place:


Gamlingay  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gamlingay like this:

GAMLINGAY, a village and a parish in Caxton district, Cambridge. The village stands on the verge of the county, near the Bedford and Cambridge railway, 2 miles NNE of Potton; is large and populous; was once a market-town; and has now a station on the railway, and a post office under St. Neots. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Woodbury. Acres, 4, 143. Real property, £9, 578. Pop., 2, 004. Houses, 393. The property is divided among a few. The living is twofold, a vicarage and a rectory, in the diocese of Ely. Value of the vicarage, £288;* of the rectory, £256. Patron of the former, the Bishop of Ely; of the latter, Merton College, Oxford. The church is early English and very handsome. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists There are also national and British schools. Lane's alms-houses, for ten widows, have £60; and other charities £11. Sir G. Downing, the founder of Downing college, was a resident.

Gamlingay through time

Gamlingay is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gamlingay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gamlingay in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3800

Date accessed: 25th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gamlingay ".