Place:


Watermillock  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Watermillock like this:

WATERMILLOCK, a chapelry, with a village, in Greystoke parish, Cumberland; on Ulleswater, 3¾ miles S by E of Penruddock r. station, and 7 SW of Penrith. It has a post-office under Penrith. Acres, 9,336; of which 1,020 are water. Real property, £4,425; of which £17 are in fisheries. Pop., 576. Houses, 102. The property is much subdivided. Hallsteads is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £1 30.* Patron, the Rector of Greystoke. The church was built in 1558. There are an endowed school and charities £10.

Watermillock through time

Watermillock is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Watermillock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Watermillock, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3796

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Watermillock ".