Place:


Kirkland  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkland like this:

KIRKLAND, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies adjacent to the Maiden way and to the boundary with Westmoreland, under Cross-Fell, 6½ miles NNE of Kirkby-Thore r. station, and 9 ENE of Penrith; and bears the name of Kirkland and Blencarn. Real property, £1, 599. ...


Pop., 167. Houses, 33.—The parish contains also the townships of Skirwith and Culgaith. Post town, Penrith. Acres, 12, 150. Real property, £7, 248. Pop., 804. Houses, 147. The property is much subdivided. Cross Fell, noticed in its own alphabetical place, occupies much of the E. A lead mine is on the side of that mountain, at Bullman's Cleugh; and coal is worked at Ardale. Three artificial terraces, each about 200 yards long, are on the side of Bank Ridge; and remains of ancient buildings, called the Hanging Walls of Mark Anthony, are on the top. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £221. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is ancient but good; and has a bell turret. The p. curacies of Skirwith and Culgaith are separate benefices. There are an endowed school with £60 a year, and other charities with £14.

Kirkland through time

Kirkland is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkland, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3776

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkland ".