Place:


Fenny Stratford  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fenny Stratford like this:

STRATFORD (Fenny), a small town, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The town stands on Watling-street, the river Onzel, the Grand Junction canal, and the Cambridge and Bletchley railway, 7 miles S of Newport-Pagnell; nearly adjoins the site of the Roman station Magiovinium; was ravaged by the plague in 1665; is partly in Bletchley parish, and partly in Simpson parish; consists chiefly of two streets; carries on the manufacture of straw-plait and lace; and has a post-office‡ under Bletchley-Station, a r. ...


station, a police station, a church rebuilt in 1724 and enlarged in 1866, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a cemetery of 1864 with two mortuary chapels, a literary institute and reading room, new national schools, charities £13, a weekly corn-market on Monday, and fairs on 19 April, 18 July, 11 Oct., and 28 Nov. The chapelry is regarded as conterminate with the town. Real property, £5,639; of which £2,082 are on the railway, and £15 in gasworks. Pop., 1,199. Houses, 259. The manor belongs to Sir P. D. P. Duncombe, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £110. Patron, not reported.—The sub-district contains 20 parishes, a township, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 31,254. Pop., 10,453. Houses, 2,176.

Fenny Stratford through time

Fenny Stratford is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fenny Stratford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fenny Stratford, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/372

Date accessed: 17th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fenny Stratford ".