Place:


Northenden  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northenden like this:

NORTHEN, or Northenden, a village, a township, and a parish, in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Mersey, at the boundary with Lancashire; adjacent to the Cheshire Midland railway, 4¼ miles W of Stockport; is a scattered place; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Manchester. ...


The township comprises 1, 434 acres. Real property, £4, 820. Pop., 709. Houses, 155. The parish contains also the township of Etchells, and comprises 3, 716 acres. Real property, £13, 852. Pop. in 1851, 1, 359; in 1861, 1, 430. Houses, 308. The manor, with Wythenshawe Hall, belongs to T. W. Tatton, Esq. The Hall is an ancient mansion, was garrisoned for the King in the civil wars of Charles I., and was capturedby the parliamentarian troops in Feb. 1643. Ravenswood is the residence of J. Johnson, Esq.; Rosehill, of E. W. Watkin, Esq.; and Holly House, of J. M. Leigh, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £406.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church is an early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and low tower; and contains some tablets to the Tattons. There are an endowed national school with £23 a year, and charities £19.

Northenden through time

Northenden is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northenden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northenden, in Manchester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3672

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northenden ".