Place:


Huxley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huxley like this:

HUXLEY, a village and a township in Waverton parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Chester canal and the Chester and Crewe railway, 3½ miles WSW of Tarporley; and has a post office under Chester. The township comprises 1, 501 acres. Real property, £2, 441. Pop., 253. Houses, 49. Lower Huxley Hall belonged to the Clive family, and is a fine old moated mansion. Higher Huxley Hall belonged to the Savages, and passed to the Cholmondeley family. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.

Huxley through time

Huxley is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huxley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huxley, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3621

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huxley ".