Place:


Brereton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brereton like this:

BRERETON-CUM-SMETHWICK, a parish in Congleton district, Cheshire; on the river Croke, 2 miles SE of Holmes-Chapel r. station, and 3 NE by N of Sandbach. It has a post office, of the name of Brereton, under Congleton; and is a seat of petty sessions. Acres, 4,501. Real property, £7,801. Pop., 592. ...


Houses, 104. The property is subdivided. Brereton Hall was built by Sir W. Brereton, the parliamentary leader; and is now the seat of the Howards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £681.* Patron, Mrs. E. Royds. The church is later English, and good; and there are three dissenting chapels. A school has £8; and other charities £19.

Brereton through time

Brereton is now part of Congleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Congleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brereton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brereton, in Congleton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3574

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brereton ".