Place:


Castle Camps  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castle Camps like this:

CASTLE-CAMPS, a parish in Linton district, Cambridge; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles SW by W of Haverhill r. station. It has a post office under Cambridge. Acres, 2,703. Real property, £3,885. Pop., 901. Houses, 199. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given, at the Conquest, to Aubrey de Vere; conveyed, in 1580, by his successor, one of the Earls of Oxford, to Sutton; and given, by the latter, to the Charter-House, London. ...


A castle of the De Veres stood on it; and appears to have been magnificent; but is now represented by only a deep moat round a farmhouse on its site. Large entrenchments of the East Angles and the Danes were in the parish; and these, with the castle, gave rise to the name of Castle-Camps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £570.* Patron, the Charter-House of London. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel and a charity school.

Castle Camps through time

Castle Camps is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castle Camps itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castle Camps in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3525

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castle Camps ".