Place:


Wormley  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wormley like this:

WORMLEY, a parish, with a village, in Ware district, Herts; 1 mile SSW of Broxbourne r. station. It has a post-office under Hoddesdon. Acres, 940. Real property, £2,907. Pop., 572. Houses, 116. The manor was given, by Harold, to Waltham abbey; went, at the dissolution of monasteries, to the Norths; passed to the Cromwells; and, with Wormleybury House, belongs now to Mrs. Grant. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £235.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is ancient but good. There are a parochial school, and charities £130.

Wormley through time

Wormley is now part of Broxbourne district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broxbourne has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wormley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wormley, in Broxbourne and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3487

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wormley ".