Place:


Bow  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bow like this:

BOW, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Crediton, Devon. The village stands on the slope of a hill, near the Okehampton railway, 7½ miles W by N of Crediton; and has a post office† of Bow, North Devon, and a r. station. It was formerly a market-town; and it still has fairs on Holy Thursday and 22 Nov. ...


The parish is called also Nymet-Tracey. Acres, 2,740. Real property, £3,466. Pop., 904. Houses, 205. The manor belonged anciently to the Traceys. Collaton House and Gratton House, now the seats of the Sanderses and the Wrefards, are fine modern mansions. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Broad-Nymet, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £533. Patron, F. Vandermeulen, Esq. The church stands about a mile from the village, and has a low square tower. There are an Independent chapel and a free school. The subdistrict comprises eight parishes. Acres, 19,402. Pop., 3,516. Houses, 736.

Bow through time

Bow is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bow in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3479

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bow ".